31 August 2010

Pesky Ants

I love living in Asia. I can survive the heat and humidity elevens months out of the year. But the ants? I can't stand them! I STRONGLY dislike them. They seem to just come out of nowhere. I'm beginning to believe they have a stronger sense of smell than dogs have. In fact, just yesterday... I brought my mug to my computer table so I could get on facebook and check email while sipping my hot coffee. I was half-way through my mug and the ants started crawling up!

Ant societies have divisions of labor, communication between individuals, and an ability to solve complex problems. These parallels with human societies have long been an inspiration and subject of study. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ants)

The Bible mentions the ants in Proverbs 30:25, "Ants are creatures of little strength, yet they store up their food in the summer."

I found myself mesmerized by a group of ants carrying a pea that I dropped on the ground. A few things came to mind:

1. These ants are quick! It didn't take them long to smell food. They didn't waste any time.
2. They work as a team. Only one cannot accomplish the task... it's too big and too heavy!
3. They are constantly busy. Day in and day out, they're in my house. Sometimes they get into really gross stuff in the trash that I don't care to mention here.
4. They're ambitious - big goal setters. Oh the things I've seen them carry are beyond my understanding!
5. They persevere. The task is big; the destination may be far; the road along the way is not always smooth. Yet, they accomplish what they set their minds to do.

Wow! I will end with this.... shouldn't we, humans, emulate those characteristics when it comes to working together in God's ministry? We (mainly ME) tend to sit contentedly in mediocrity in what we should accomplish. We bask in our separatism and reluctance in working with others to achieve the same goal for God's kingdom. We over-celebrate individualism and focus a lot on the "me" than the "all about God" mindset. I have to admit, I have failed in these areas over and over again.

Next time I see ants, I need to remember those five things. "Lord, grant me the courage to be what You want me to be to accomplish what You've given me to do."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...